Tuesday, October 11, 2011

70s crafts


Lately I've been really digging 1970s crafts. The 70s look is very present in fashion at the moment but I've always loved 70s style. I've noticed some awesome and fun retro craft projects online, so here are some of my favourites!


Macrame is one of those crafts that makes people cringe and is trotted out as an example of the low-skill, quick and ugly crafts of the period. But lately I've seen some beautiful, updated takes on the craft. (Also, my friend Lizzy of Craft or GTFO really hates macrame, which means that I have to find lots of projects to post on her Facebook wall.) Heather Moore of Skinny Laminx recently shared a tutorial for crafting these plant hangers which are stylish and minimal but still have the hand-crafted feel.


To be honest, I love the old-style macrame as much as the elegant modern version. Etsy seller macraMe makes these adorable owl necklaces for the very reasonable price of $12 US. You could buy yourself one and buy me one while you're at it!


If you want some guidance with 70s projects, the wonderful Cathy of California has published a book of craft projects inspired by the period! Vintage Craft Workshop looks like it has lots of fun projects-- I'll definitely be buying myself a copy.


Of course, you can do more familiar crafts in a 70s style. This was the period when crochet really came back into fashion, and it was used for everything from ponchos to bikinis. There are plenty of crochet patterns on Etsy and eBay (and in your local op shop). Some of them are pretty depressing to look at, but others are really beautiful!




One skill I would love to develop is patchwork. I love the 70s take on 'pioneer' style! Check out this amazing quilted jacket from Flickr user Violet Folklore:



You can see more beautiful vintage clothes at her Etsy store, although the wonderful jacket must have sold.

God's eyes are not part of an Australian childhood, but I understand from watching movies about summer camp that they were a popular craft in the 70s (and possibly still today). Prudent Baby has a tutorial on making these-- how gorgeous would this be in bright pink and yellow?


Finally, if you want to get really authentic, you can tap into the era's love for using plastics in crafts and do some FOAMCRAFTING!

Just think: the crafts made from this book will never biodegrade. They will last longer than the Sistine Chapel!


"For fun"? Or for nightmares? You decide!

(Full disclosure: I would totally make that giraffe.)

4 comments:

Craft or GTFO said...

Love the crochet chevron dress, I wish I had the patience to make one.

Jessica McLeod said...

I bet you could make a really cute knee-length skirt and it wouldn't take too long! (I say this with no understanding of how to crochet chevrons)

sky said...

I want the quilted jacket! I want it so much!

Jessica McLeod said...

Sky: Me toooooo! It looks like so much work :/